[Mapserver-users] Site Critique

Chris Hagwood chagwood at ci.garner.nc.us
Wed Feb 12 13:49:28 EST 2003

Thanks to those that have answered my questions so far.  I'm almost ready to deploy my first mapserver site.  I have it running, and would like critiques and feedback:  http://www.ci.garner.nc.us/police/mapserver/  You'll note that it plagiarizes heavily from the Itasca Demo...I presume that's allowed :)  Compare this to my existing system at http://www.ci.garner.nc.us/police/maps_n_stats.htm

My biggest challenge is plotting crimes.  I am geocoding them in Arcview, producing a shapefile, then using that as a layer in my map file.  I think that folks will want to select only certain crimes to view, so I will probably be defining each type of crime as its own layer.

I can't get maplab or mapeditor to work on my machine, so I'm writing my map files by hand and boy is it a pain!

Lt. Chris Hagwood
self-taught "webmaster" cum Police Lieutenant