[Mapserver-users] Can't seem to get the projection correct

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Feb 18 12:19:40 EST 2003

"Martin, Daniel" wrote:

> Well, perhaps MapInfo is lying to me, but it says the projection I am after
> *is* latlong.  It says:  "Latitude/Longitude (NAD 27 for the Continental
> US)"

If I remember well, in MapInfo, when you resize your map window, the
geographical extents are not changed, but instead the data is stretched
to fit in the new width/height aspect ratio of the view window...so you
can get any kind of vertical stretch or horizontal stretch in MapInfo
just by resizing the map window.  OTOH, MapServer will adjust the
geographical extent to produce square pixels, so as you change your view
width and height the map always looks the same.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca