[Mapserver-users] Easy Question - PC to Unix

Vinko Vrsalovic vinko at cprsig.cl
Mon Feb 24 17:37:20 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 12:15:09PM -0600, Mark Rodrigo wrote:
> Thanks for the responses. I think I will go with the dual boot Linux
> solution depending on how the following is answered:
>
> Is there any reason why I could not develop on my Windows machine (Compile
> with MSVC++), get all my scripting going on the client side and server side
> and then do the Unix compile and upload? i.e. are there differences in the
> components for windows/unix? I do see any.
>
> I hope that is clear enough

You only need to compile once, either the Mapserver CGI (if that's what
you'll use) or the shared MapScript libraries (if you're going the
MapScript way). You can't use the compiled binaries of one machine in
the other, so you need to compile once per machine, but the scripts and
shapefiles and mapfiles should run more or less seamlessly in both.

You'll still proably need to use the same version of MapServer in both
machines and the same version of the scripting language, and there may be
subtle differences in behavior between windows and unix versions of the
language. Also you'll need to change paths and other config options
every time.

I guess it will be best if you reproduce the environment of your hosting
machine at home, to save headaches. But I guess it's possible to develop
in Windows and then port to Linux without much trouble.

--
Vinko Vrsalovic <el[|- at -|]vinko.cl>
http://www.cprsig.cl