[Mapserver-users] Mapserver to SVG

Geoff Anderson javageoff at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 3 01:02:26 EST 2003

Is anyone actively integrating Mapserver with SVG?  A strategy I'm using is
to pass [mapex], [img], and [legend] etc. from the map template appended to
a link that points to PHP scripts which dynamically generate spatially
referenced SVG.  Raster maps generated from Mapserver are easily embedded in
SVG, potentially giving users the best of both raster/vector worlds.  SVG
immediately offers advanced web geoprocessing functionality such as browser
based heads-up digitizing, dynamic feature updates  via gymnastic
inter-frame scripting, changing symbology w/out reloading the image etc.
My opinion/experience is that SVG can best be levereged in hybrid
applications designed to limit amount of spatial data actually written to
SVG.  Exotic fads like SVG better justify their existence by adding value to
Killer GIS Apps like Mapserver, PostGIS, and ... Grass.
I'll post a demo and PHP source shortly if anyone is interested.
-geoff