[Mapserver-users] Fastest Data Format

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Fri Jan 3 14:01:13 EST 2003

Jan Hartmann wrote:

> I just got connection pooling running (Happy New Year!), but I can only
> test it against PostGIS here. As expected, it doesn't make much
> difference there (17 vs 14 seconds for a map with 100 layers),

Great news Jan!

I'm a bit surprised that it takes as much as 3 seconds to open 100 connections
(but some of that time will be because system tables will be cached).  But a 20%
speed increase is great - I'm excited!!

The only problem I think might happen is the connections not getting closed.  I
noticed that some mapscript applications were not closing the connection to the
database but havent tracked down the problem.  This could be if an error occurs
in your mapscript PHP page and apache doesnt reset (leaving the process
existant, but inactive in apache-space), but I'm just guessing.   If you notice
this type of thing happening, let me know and we can track it down.

dave