[Mapserver-users] Fastest Data Format

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Fri Jan 3 13:22:53 EST 2003

I just got connection pooling running (Happy New Year!), but I can only
test it against PostGIS here. As expected, it doesn't make much
difference there (17 vs 14 seconds for a map with 100 layers), but for
SDE and OracleSpatial it should cut substantially more ice. I'll send
the code to Steve Lime and the PostGIS and OS folks for testing and if
they agree it can be put into CVS. Unless I made some terrible mistake
this should not take much time: the whole thing takes about 50 lines in
the main code and about 5 lines for each of the database interfaces.
Moreover, there is no need to change all database interfaces at the same
time: an unchanged interface will run as before.

Note however that connections are pooled ONLY within a single map (i.e.
a single MapServer request). Every new map (e.g. for zoom or pan) has to
open a new connection (which will be used subsequently for all layers in
that map). I'm not sure if this will be adequate for SDE and OS. At
first sight, I have no idea how to keep open a connection between map
requests. Do people know how ArcIMS/SDE and OS manage this (if they do
it at all)?

Jan