[Mapserver-users] Fastest Data Format

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Jan 2 20:35:05 EST 2003

ArcIMS seems to handle SDE just fine, but that should be no surprise :)
I imagine that ArcIMS uses connection pooling to avoid the overhead
associated with making SDE connections.

I should reiterate at this point that the performance problem does not
adhere to SDE necessarily or to Mapserver necessarily, but to the amount
of time it takes to negotiate a connection with an SDE server. Once the
connection is made, everything is performant. It is making the
connection which is the issue. If you are only making one connection,
probably it is completely reasonable.

However, the current design of Mapserver treats each layer as a distinct
entity, and each layer datasource as a distinct entity. So for each
SDE-based layer, there is a separate SDE connection to be made. Over
numerous layers, things can add up to quite a long delay.

Jan Hartmann has made a proposal for connection pooling between layers,
I do not know if he has a preliminary implementation or if such an
implementation will be included in 3.7.

Paul