[Mapserver-users] Fastest Data Format

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Jan 3 15:42:35 EST 2003

GAIA wrote:

> Strictly speaking from an SDE
> point of view, licenses are limited and we want to return them to the
> pool as fast as possible to make way for other requests.  From a
> PostGIS perspective, things might be different.  Probably, Paul is
> the best person to comment on this (?).
> Again, please let us know if we can help in any way (e.g., testing
> with SDE).

Perhaps Jan can send you his code cut as well, to test against SDE.
WRT PostGIS and persistent connections, the one-time connection overhead
is so low (relative to total map processing time) that maintaining a
persistent connection is not worth it. The per-session pool should be
quite sufficient to make complex PostGIS-backed maps perform well.

P.

--
       __
      /