[Mapserver-users] Z values from 3D shapefiles (PHP MapScript)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 6 13:41:21 EST 2003

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> MapScript supports 2D shapefiles (x,y), and measured shapefiles (x,y,m),
> but it doesn't support shapefiles with Z values (x,y,z).  I would think
> that someone could add this fairly easily by looking at the latest
> version of Shapelib and porting the changes to suppport the Z types to
> the MapServer version of shapelib.  Perhaps you could file this as an
> enhancement in bugzilla, and if someone ever has time...

Chip / Daniel,

I would also note that 3D shapefiles can be accessed through OGR.  I am
not sure it is worth complicating the existing fast 3D shapefile support
in MapServer when those wanting to use 3D shapefiles can just use
OGR-in-Mapserver.  Also, utilities like ogr2ogr can be used to flatten
a shapefile to 2D if needed.

Best regards,