[Mapserver-users] Z values from 3D shapefiles (PHP MapScript)

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jan 6 13:49:11 EST 2003

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Chip / Daniel,
>
> I would also note that 3D shapefiles can be accessed through OGR.  I am
> not sure it is worth complicating the existing fast 3D shapefile support
> in MapServer when those wanting to use 3D shapefiles can just use
> OGR-in-Mapserver.  Also, utilities like ogr2ogr can be used to flatten
> a shapefile to 2D if needed.

True.  I didn't think about that.  I guess that solves the issue for you
Chip, unless you need access to the Z values in MapScript in which case
we would have to add a 'z' value to the pointObj and modify mapogr.cpp
to set the z value.  With the current version if you access a 3D
shapefile with OGR the Z values are simply dropped.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca