[Mapserver-users] PostGIS / Shapefile Performance Question

Thomas, Cord cthomas at rand.org
Wed Jan 15 15:06:10 EST 2003

Paul

This is what i understood ArcView (and mapobjects, and ArcInfo to be sure)
to do.

So, does MapServer read the sbn/sbx files?  or just the .shx file.  Oh wait,
sorry - wasnt paying attention - MapServer creates its own index, right?
So, was shpindex written to provide the quadtree index because the sbn
format is an unknown (according to
http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/shapelib/shapelib.html it is unpublished) or
because the quadtree was proven to be better.

Has anyone ever been able to explore either with ESRI or others why the
sbn/sbx is undocumented?

Cord