[Mapserver-users] TrueType Font and Label Angle

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Jan 17 00:00:49 EST 2003

1) Who knows. Since there is an easy work around I've not felt the need
to poke around the GD code- that's where the problem is. The pain is on
those systems that have a particular version of GD and/or Freetype
pre-installed (life is fine on Solaris for example).

2) Um, no need to blame anyone. It really shouldn't have been until GD
2.0 was stable, so prior to 3.7 only Freetype 1 should be looked for.
The good news is that recent versions of GD 2.0 have had major updates
to TTF support and are believed to work just fine. Bottom line is to use
freetype 1.3.1/gd 1.8.4 with MapServer 3.6.x and either that combination
or freetype 2.0/gd 2.x with MapServer 3.7.

3) The bug(s) is in the GD interface to Freetype, not in Freetype
itself. Freetype 2 support in GD has not been stable until recently.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937
>>> "Jonathan W. Lowe" <jlowe at giswebsite.com> 01/16/03 21:38 PM >>>
Questions (for Daniel?) about the freetype1 vs. freetype2 problem:

1) Why does the same version of gd + freetype2 result in a successful
mapserver compilation (i.e. no label angle problems) on RedHat 8.0, but
not on FreeBSD?

2) If freetype2 is a problem, why is it the default in the mapserver
Makefile?

3) And, if there is a bug in freetype2, rather than avoiding freetype2
altogether (an endeavor raising its own set of problems), why not get
the bug fixed?  Is it a known bug?  Has anyone from the list identified
the bug and/or contacted the freetype developer(s) to report it?

(If this is much easier said than done, please forgive my naivete.)

Thank you,
Jonathan Lowe

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 21:42, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> "Jonathan W. Lowe" wrote:
> >
> > For what it's worth, my installation on RedHat 8.0 didn't have the
label angle
> > problems, so it is possible to successfully compile the software on
Linux.  At
> > one point in my efforts to overcome the label angle problems, I
found a
> > reference that said the mere presence of freetype2 might force the
compiler to
> > use freetype2 (the supposed culprit in the label angle problem)
rather than