[Mapserver-users] TrueType Font and Label Angle

Jonathan W. Lowe jlowe at giswebsite.com
Fri Jan 17 11:06:19 EST 2003

Steve,

These responses cleared up my confusion and moved things forward--thanks
for the clarification.  FYI: there does seem to be a difference in label
angles and placement between mapserver-3.6.3 and mapserver-3.7 (from
yesterday's nightly build.

Specifically, when labeling lines with the "ANGLE AUTO" parameter,
mapserver-3.6.3 (w/ freetype-1.3.1 and gd-1.8.4) places line labels
exactly along and on top of the lines. Mapserver-3.7 (w/ freetype-2.1.3
and gd-2.x) places the labels (sometimes) slightly different from the
angle of the lines and slightly askew from the lines.

Comparisons appear at the following (temporary) URL:

	http://www.giswebsite.com/labels/

The labels generated by mapserver-3.6.3 look cleaner cartographically
(to my eye). Certainly not a show stopper--but I thought you might like
to know in case it's an easy fix.

Thanks again,
Jonathan