[Mapserver-users] Index on field in DBF?

Uffe Uffe
Sat Jan 18 08:41:21 EST 2003

In a SHP file I have a field, which is used to determine whether or not
the shape should be drawn at the current scale. This is done using an
expression in the mapfile and the maxscale property. This a bit slow on
large extents (where I don't want all details drawn), so my question is
this:

Is it possible to define an index on the field in the DBF file and have
mapserver use it?
Or should I split the SHP file in smaller parts for each value of the
field?

TIA
Uffe Kousgaard