[Mapserver-users] Smoothing NEXRAD imagery

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Tue Jan 28 11:42:15 EST 2003

Hello all!

Well, I was playing around today with my various mapserver applications
and have a question that I hope someone can answer.

I have been working on generating maps of current NEXRAD (Weather
Service RARAR) imagery and overlaying observations.  This is currently
working great, except the pixelation that occurs at very close range.
Does anyone know how to implement an automatic TIFF smoothing algorithm at
close ranges?

Here is a page with an example of what happens to the NEXRAD image at
close ranges...  The pixelation at 25km is not that bad and will probably
be what I live with for the final app.

http://db1.mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/GIS/apps/iem/ex.html

The point in the center of these images is Ames, Iowa :)  We are
experiencing freezing rain at the moment.

btw, in two weeks, the American Meteorological Society has its annual
meeting.  I will presenting the glories of mapserver at its first GIS
session of the IIPS (Information Processing) conference.  It should be
lots of fun promoting open-source!!

Thanks
  Daryl

--