[Mapserver-users] Suggestions

Martin, Daniel DMartin at erac.com
Tue Jan 28 11:04:00 EST 2003

------_=_NextPart_000_01C2C6E6.DED2CCFC

> I am very new to mapserver, but have successfully installed
> it, loaded the itasca demo, and gotten it to display a basic
> interactive map of our city.  (Win2K, IIS, IE5.5)
>
> To make my map file, I'm using Ross Searle's Arcview script.
> However, I cannot seem to get a map to show up in his
> javascript web page.  It writes a plain white map each time.
> Anyone gotten this to work in windows/IIS environments?  In
> the meantime, I'm cutting and pasting to the one from the
> itasca demo to make my own maps (just for learning purposes so far).

If itasca works, MapServer works.  The issue is usually then in your .map
file.  I have the same OS, and web server - so I know that's not the
problem.  First I'd suggest looking at the image files MS created in your
temp directory.  Are they white too?  I'm not familiar with Ross's script,
but I had white maps when sending a PNG image to Rosa or Mapplet (before
they supported PNG).  But, I don't suspect you are using either.

> Since my first project with MapServer is an informative map
> of our city, with police beats and maybe some crime stats, I
> need to learn a bit more and am open to suggestions.
>
> 1.  How do I get street names, beat labels, and so forth to show up?

My quick and dirty directions for this is:
1. Create a folder in your MapServer folder called "fonts".
2. Drag all the fonts from C:\WINNT\FONTS into that folder.
3. Place the attached fontset.txt into that folder.
4. Add this to the highest level of your map file:
FONTSET "..\fonts\fontset.txt"
5. This is a portion of an example TIGER street layer:

LABELMAXSCALE 200000
LABELITEM "FENAME"
CLASS
  NAME "Streets"
  COLOR 130 130 130
  LABEL
    MINFEATURESIZE 20
    MINDISTANCE 100
    BUFFER 10
    ANGLE auto
    POSITION auto
    TYPE TRUETYPE
    FONT arial_narrow
    SIZE 8
    COLOR 0 0 0
    OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
    ANTIALIAS true
  END
END

> 2.  Does mapserver do any address matching or GIS coordinate plotting?

It doesn't geocode addresses if that's what you mean.  But that's not to say
people don't integrate a geocoder with MS - they do.  Not sure what you mean
by GIS coordinate plotting.

> When I have something worth publishing on the public server,
> I'll post here and ask for some more feedback.  Until then,
> thanks in advance!

------_=_NextPart_000_01C2C6E6.DED2CCFC

3o_f_9_barcode 									3of9barcode1.ttf
arial 													arial.ttf
arial_black											ariblk.ttf
arial_black-italic							arbli___.ttf
arial-bold											arialbd.ttf
arial-bold-italic								arialbi.ttf
arial-italic										ariali.ttf
arial_narrow										arialn.ttf
arial_narrow-bold								arialnb.ttf
arial_narrow-bold-italic				arialnbi.ttf
arial_narrow-italic							arialni.ttf
arial_unicode_MS								arialuni.ttf
batang													batang.ttf
book_antiqua										bkant.ttf
book_antiqua-bold								antquab.ttf
book_antiqua-bold-italic				antquabi.ttf
book_antiqua-italic							antquai.ttf
bookman_old_style								bookos.ttf
bookman_old_style-bold 					bookosb.ttf
bookman_old_style-bold-italic		bookosbi.ttf
bookman_old_style-italic				bookosi.ttf
century_gothic									gothic.ttf
century_gothic-bold							gothicb.ttf
century_gothic-bold-italic			gothicbi.ttf
century_gothic-italic						gothici.ttf
century_schoolbook							schlbk.ttf
century_schoolbook-bold					schlbkb.ttf
century_schoolbook-bold-italic	schlbkbi.ttf
century_schoolbook-italic				schlbki.ttf
comic_sans											comic.ttf
comic_sans-bold									comicbd.ttf
courier													cour.ttf
courier-bold										courbd.ttf
courier-bold-italic							courbi.ttf
courier-italic									couri.ttf
garamond												gara.ttf
garamond-bold										garabd.ttf
garamond-italic									garait.ttf
georgia													georgia.ttf
georgia-bold										georgiab.ttf
georgia-bold-italic							georgiaz.ttf
georgia-italic									georgiai.ttf
hatten													hatten.ttf
impact													impact.ttf
letter_gothic										lc______.ttf
letter_gothic-bold							lcb_____.ttf
letter_gothic-bold-italic				lcbi____.ttf
letter_gothic-italic						lci_____.ttf
lucida_console									lucon.ttf
lucida_sans_unicode							l_10646.ttf
ms_sans_serif										micross.ttf
monotype_corsova								mtcorsva.ttf
ms_outlook											outlook.ttf
palatino_linotype								pala.ttf
palatino_linotype-bold					palab.ttf
palatino_linotype-bold-italic		palabi.ttf
palatino_linotype-italic				palai.ttf
r_ansi													r_ansi.ttf
r_apl														r_apl.ttf
r_thai													r_thai.ttf
r_thai-bold											r_thaibd.ttf
r_thai-bold-italic							r_thaibi.ttf
r_thai-italic										r_thaii.ttf
sybol														symbol.ttf
tahoma													tahoma.ttf
tahoma-bold											tahomabd.ttf
times_new_roman									times.ttf
times_new_roman-bold						timesbd.ttf
times_new_roman-bold-italic			timesbi.ttf
times_new_roman-italic					timesi.ttf
times_new_roman_MT-extrabold		timnreb.ttf
trebuchet												trebuc.ttf
trebuchet-bold									trebucbd.ttf
trebuchet-bold-italic						trebucbi.ttf
trebuchet-italic								trebucit.ttf