[Mapserver-users] two questions

Giorgio Plazzotta giorgio.plazzotta at sarasricerche.it
Thu Jul 10 03:27:32 EDT 2003

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C346C5.7D820340

I have two doubts (well probably even more than 2) that maybe somebody =
can help me to solve.
1) I still use the 3.6 version and therefore I have to optimize the =
raster laters to 256 colors. When i will be able to use 24 bit color =
rasters what will happen to the performances in that same raster layer? =
I mean, sometimes 256 volors are really unacceptable but maybe in some =
situations it's only a matter od graphic perfection (a DTM for example) =
and 256 colors are not so bad. In these situations maybe one could =
choose to go for the 8 bit just to preserve performances even id we =
could serve it 24 bit.=20

2) I didn't understand very well all the characteristics of WMS and the =
differences of chooseing this platform instead of a normal mapserver =
engine. Can anybody suggest a good resource (pref. online) where i can =
improve my knowledge? I understood that a wms is the solution when =
mapping is only a part of the application i am buiding cause i insert =
the map service inside it like a component. But if i am developing an =
application in which mapping is the main goal probably it's better =
(performances?) to choose a more traditional way to serve maps.

Thanx
Giorgio

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C346C5.7D820340

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have two doubts (well probably even =
more than 2)=20
that maybe somebody can help me to solve.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) I still use the 3.6 version and =
therefore I have=20
to optimize the raster laters to 256 colors. When i will be able to use =
24 bit=20
color rasters what will happen to the performances in that same raster =
layer? I=20
mean, sometimes 256 volors are really unacceptable but maybe in some =
situations=20
it's only a matter od graphic perfection (a DTM for example) and 256 =
colors are=20
not so bad. In these situations maybe one could choose to go for the 8 =
bit just=20
to preserve performances even id we could serve it 24 bit. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) I didn't understand very well all =
the=20
characteristics of WMS and the differences of chooseing this platform =
instead of=20
a normal mapserver engine. Can anybody suggest a good resource (pref. =
online)=20
where i can improve my knowledge? I understood that a wms is the =
solution when=20
mapping is only a part of the application i am buiding cause i insert =
the map=20
service inside it like a component. But if i am developing an =
application in=20
which mapping is the main goal probably it's better (performances?) to =
choose a=20
more traditional way to serve maps.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanx</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Giorgio</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C346C5.7D820340--