[Mapserver-users] two questions

W. Steph chewbizz at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 03:46:06 EDT 2003

The mapserver standard engine is a web script. The wms is also a web script.
The main difference are the arguments passed to the script : in wms, the
arguments must respect the wms standard. But in term of performances, you'll
probably wait the same time for the same query with the two scripts (wms and
standard mapserver).
If you take a deeper look at mapserver arguments (I'm talking about the
mapserver *script*, not the engine), you'll find that they are the same as
WMS arguments (height, width, layer...), but with another argument : MAP.
The idea is to edit your apache config file (usually httpd.conf) and to add
this line :

SetEnvIf Request_URI "/cgi-bin/wms"
MS_MAPFILE=path/to/my/map/file/mapfile.map

Where "cgi-bin/wms" is a renamed copy of the mapserver executable script.
Then your "wms" script will be a wms compliant script.
And this script will be as effecient as the standard mapserver script of
course !
You should read the MapServer WMS Server - Client HOWTO on the mapserver web
site to get more infos on how to make a wms compliant server with mapserver.