[Mapserver-users] Error message getting eaten in 4.0?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 10 13:33:45 EDT 2003

David Blasby wrote:
> I've had several people ask me about getting an error like:
>
> msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'test'.
>
> I've traced back through the code, and I've verified that I'm
> (mappostgis.c) calling msSetError(..), then returning MS_FAILURE. But, I
> still get this error message.
>
> This is causing no end of confusion for the postgis connection users.
> The error messages it tries to give would be extreamly helpful to people
> with problems.

Dave,

I agree, this is causing a crazy amount of frustration and wheel spinning.
We have "error stacking" now don't we?  Is there a problem with making
4.0 actually report the whole error stack by default?  Alternatively, could
the msDrawMap() function *not* call msSetError() if there is already an
error message set?  Daniel?  Steve?  I am willing to hack on this if you guys
think it is a good idea, but don't have time to work on it.

While I am nervous about changes just before a 4.0 release, I think it could
make a substantial difference in the perceieved (and real!) usability of the
4.0 release.

Best regards,