[Mapserver-users] Re: Error while running the Demo-package

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Wed Jul 16 10:19:13 EDT 2003

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, stefan.albers at k... wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've installed mapserver 3.6 on linux machine.
> Every things works perfectly well. When I run
> http://myserver/cgi-bin/mapserv,
> I've got the following answer : No query information to decode.
> QUERY_STRING is
> set, but empty.
> If I understand well it means that mapserver is correctly installed
> Am I right ?
>
> I've downloaded the demo. When I run the demo_init.html I get the following
> Error
>
> msLoadMap(): General error message. Undefined symbol "symbols/ctyhwy.gif"
> in class 0 of layer ctyrdln3_anno.

well, does ctyhwy.gif exist under the symbols directory? most likely it doesn't.

The mapserver distribution comes with a version of gd that doesn't support gifs.
Unfortunately the files still refer to the gif. If the ctyhwy.gif exists, convert it (and all
other gifs) to png and replace all references to gifs to pngs and you will be ok.