[Mapserver-users] Using TIGER files

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jul 17 08:01:26 EDT 2003

Attri,

The Tiger/line files are useful for generating the base map and
extracting the polygons that relate back to the Census statistical
data. You will have to get the statistical data and relate that to
the polygons probably using JOIN to relate the polygon to the stats
and then use LAYER CLASSes to apply graphical (color/style/etc)
attributes to the polygons.

This implies that you can find the statistical data on the Census
website and load it into DBF files or Postgres so you can join it
with your polygon layer(s).

You might want to play with a simple polygon layer like the states
and create a DBF file with a random value column and see if you can
colorize the states based on doing a JOIN and setting up CLASS
brackets to assign COLOR. If you can get that to work then you will
better understand what you need to do once you get the real data and
the problem will be simple to start with.

-Steve W.