[Mapserver-users] When will it work ?

W. Steph chewbizz at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 04:33:22 EDT 2003

Hello all !

MapServer is a good program, withs lots of things working well, but since I
use mapServer, I never had a version which did everything I want. I'm using
Windows binaries of mapserver and phpMapscript. And I have two databases : A
ShapeFiles database on the windows server, and a PostGis DataBase on a
Solaris server.
(The two contains the same information). Only raster images were the same
for both configurations : they are stored on the windows server.

So, I began with mapserver 3.6.5 and php-mapscript. Everything worked well,
and I made two mapfiles and two configurations of mapserver : one to read
the shapefiles, and one to read the postgis database.
I developped many function, and then I had two problems :
With the shapefiles, php-mapscript was unable to display raster. (This was
because of the version I used that didn't support rasters)
With the postGis database, php-mapscript was unable to perform the
$layer->open() function, because I couldn't type any parameters, and this
old version needed a parameter for open() function (the shapefiles path).
But with this version, I could display raster images.
I also tried 3.7 version, but with no good results.
Then, I thought 3.6.6 was the solution, as there where pre-compiled version
with all the options I needed. But there was a bug :
When a layer query happens, and the user wanted to list the responding
shapes, a call was made to the "getShape()" function after openning the
layer with "open()". And an error always raised : "Fatal Error : Assertion
failed, Could not set shape values 0,0"
I searched the mailing list for answers to this problems, and saw that it
was a known bug, but i also saw that it wouldn't be corrected in 3.6.6 but
in 4.0

So I downloaded versions 4.0 (beta 1, beta 2, and dev) windows binaries with
php-mapscript.
I found some new bugs (drawLegendIcon not working => php.exe error, and
MARKER on reference map not working => 30 sec execution time limit
exceeded). Anyway, I tried to test my application : the 3.6.6 bug was still
there ! "Could not set shape values 0,0 ..."

So what can I do now ?? A good 3.6.5 version should be enough for me to run
my application, but I need someone who could send the window binaries...
On 3.6.5 and 3.6.6 versions, I only need PHP/Mapscript binaries.
If you have newer version of MapScript 4.0 it could also interest me.

Please HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I won't have time to compile mapscript myself, because my project ends the
30th of August (i'm doing a placement), and I have some other things to
implement before I leave.

I hope this mail is understandable.
Thanks for your help !
Steph