[Mapserver-users] Re: List Question RFC

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Thu Jul 24 13:36:37 EDT 2003

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, "Lowell Filak"<lfilak at m...> wrote:
> I am not a "List" expert by any stretch but I am wondering if the "Set
> Digest Mode" option on the list subscription is causing a problem.

Hey Lowell,

> It appears that if a new user subscribes to the list and
> turns the digest option on then they could
> theoretically post the same question as
> someone else 2 minutes before or after the other question
> is asked but not know it until the next day yet still
> receive their answer if the person answering it hits
> "Reply-All" and thereby providing no incentive
> to not use the "digest" option until a later time.

I had to read that three times, and I still don't not exactly not
understand the problem. ;-)

are you saying that a user could have her/his question answered
serendipitously because someone else happened to ask the same question
within a few minutes? If yes, then what is the problem? The question
gets answered, no? It doesn't matter whether the answer arrives as
part of a list, or separately as a result of having being "Repl(ied) All".

<rant>
The MapServer listserv forces me to subscribe in order to read and
post, so I have subscribed, and receive the list digest. The digest
keeps emails in my mailbox down to a manageable number. In any case, I
don't read the list mode... it is usually full of html garbage from
folks who like html mode or don't know how to or simply can't turn it
off. Instead, I use the Yahoo interface for my MapServer pleasure.
</rant>