[Mapserver-users] Using MapServer as a general graphing engine

Armin Burger armin.burger at libero.it
Mon Jul 28 15:53:53 EDT 2003

Tyler,

I also found it sometimes desirable to have Mapserver create thematical
maps with pie charts or bar charts, etc. I don't know how much work it
might be to implement this. Maybe DM Solutions OWTChart could be somehow
included?

Another, probably a bit easier implementation, could be using MapScript
combined with graphic modules/extensions for Perl or PHP, mainly based on
the GD library. But as far as I know there is no possibility to include
externally produced images and merge them on top of the map image. A
question to the developers: would it be possible to have a Mapscript
method that creates an imageObj from a file?

This way one could create all the charts based on shapefile or database
data with external graphic functions and merge these images with the map
image using the existing 'pasteImage' method. For not too many charts the
speed should be acceptable. For placing a chart exactly over a polygon a
method to calculate the shape centroid would be helpful.

Could this approach make sense?

Armin