[Mapserver-users] Map File and MapScript for MapInfo files

Robert Crossley robert at wotzhere.com
Wed Jun 4 06:26:09 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I am revisiting a site that has worked really well for the last year, but
now we want to make it use mapinfo files rather than shape files.

We have one map file that works with shape files but it doesn't when it is
pointed at the equivalent MapInfo files.  TO make matters harder, the
layers that are used are changed at runtime using mapscript, and it all
runs from an activeX that also has Image Web Server controls in it.  The
bottom line is that mapserver's errors don't get through, the map just
doesn't appear.

We have got mapserver working with mapinfo files OK on another site on that
computer, but there are no mapscript changes other than turning layers on
or off.

In the shape map file, I currently change the _data= property to the new
name.  The Shapepath definition acts as a reference point that I can change
the data used relative to that.

I think that I have to change the connection property for the mapinfo map
file, but I'm pretty sure that the paths are the problem.

Are the connection specs in the map file relative to the mapfile or should
(can) they include absolute paths?  In the one that is working they are
stored in a subdirectory below the web site, and the connection string
specifies a path relative to the web site (and map file).  Our data is on a
different drive.

Perhaps I just need to set up a page that simply gets mapserver to serve an
image directly from the map server and perhaps get a look at the errors.  I
liked the look of Daniel's MapEdit, but the server doesn't have php loaded.
 Any other suggestions?

Robert Crossley Robert Crossley & Assoc
9 Short St
New Brighton 2483