[Mapserver-users] perl mapscript 3.6.5 (SOLVED)

mapsurfer mapsurf at midsouth.rr.com
Wed Jun 4 14:58:33 EDT 2003

Guys, I think I got this solved...  When you are installing a private
version
of mapscript, there is a perl Makefile bug that must be manually fixed to
avoid conflict with installed version of libraries on the machine (in
/usr/lib
or /usr/local/lib)

In the perl/mapscript directory,

perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr/home/cto/usr/local
LIB=/usr/home/cto/usr/local/lib

*note: the PREFIX and LIB are needed to create your private version
and where /usr/home/cto is my homedir and my privatedir are is built in
/usr/home/cto/usr/local

perl MakeMaker will create a canned Makefile template... and if you
inspect the file, you will see:

 LDDLFLAGS = -shared  -L/usr/local/lib
 LDFLAGS = -Wl,-E  -L/usr/local/lib

and when change to:

LDDLFLAGS = -shared  -L/usr/home/cto/usr/local/lib
LDFLAGS = -Wl,-E -L/usr/home/cto/usr/local/lib

and then

make
make install

problem solved.  As far as I can tell, there is no way to override or
otherwise
effect the changes externally since perl Makemaker is responsible for
creating
the Makefile.

Just thought I would pass this info along to anyone else who might be
having problems with a private mapscript installation on a shared machine.
Apparently, its just conflicting with machine libgd.so in /usr/local/lib.

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc.