[Mapserver-users] WMS - question

Rainer Spittel rasp at tzi.de
Wed Jun 4 03:46:23 EDT 2003

Hi,

     It seems to be a real problem for me to configure the MapServer :(
I want to setup a cascading web map service using wms-server and
wms-client options to provide these operations. I have compiled a
wms-server on a linux plattform and configure a map-file. This mapserver
supports WMS_SERVER and other options:

geosharewms2:/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin # ./mapserv -v

MapServer version 3.6.5 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=SDE INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR
INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

I am able to send a GetCapabilities request to this mapserver and
receive a XML document:

http://geosharewms2.tzi.de/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/www_root/mapserver/cascade_server/htdocs/mapserv.map&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

Even a GetMap request will be proceeded correctly.

But I am not able to setup a WMS-client which accesses this mapserver. I
am using a second map-file which defines a WMS-layer with the
Connection-String to the WMS_SERVER mapserver:

   LAYER
     NAME "bbflaechen"
     STATUS ON
     TYPE POLYGON

     METADATA
         "wms_title" 	"Bebaute Flchen in Bremen"
	"wms_srs"	"EPSG:31492"
     END

     CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
     CONNECTION
"http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/www_root/mapserver/cascade_dev/htdocs/mapserv.map?VERSION=1.1.0&LAYERS=bebauteflaechen"

     PROJECTION
	"init=epsg:31492"
     END

   END

When I try to visualize this mapfile I receive following error message:

Warning: MapServer Error in msDrawRaster(): Unrecognized or unsupported
image format in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/mapserver/cascade_client/htdocs/mapserv.php3 on
line 483

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/mapserver/cascade_client/htdocs/mapserv.php3 on
line 484

I am really confused about this, because I am not using raster-images...

Next step I use this mapserver with wms_server support as a datasource
in MapLab/MapBrowser and I was not able to establish a connection to my
mapserver using this URL:

http://geosharewms2.tzi.de/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/www_root/mapserver/cascade_server/htdocs/mapserv.map&

If anyone know a hint, please let me know. Is it possible to use a
shorter URL to my map-file? I don't want to use a absolute path to the
mapfile.
I am using following configuration:

   apache 1.3.27
   gd-1.8.4