[Mapserver-users] How to display 16-bit bitmap fonts?

Ruben Tsui ruben at anet.net.tw
Fri Jun 6 03:56:23 EDT 2003

Dear all,

I would like to have the ability to display wide-character (16-bit)
BITMAP fonts in a map.  East Asian TrueType font files are just a
bit too bulky (3~18 MB per file) and slow for a high-load setup.

I have access to some X11 PCF fonts for East Asian languages but don't
know how to set it up in the LABEL section.  I tried all possible
combinations to no avail (neither TYPE=bitmap nor TYPE=truetype
worked).

Since FreeType 2 supports the PCF format (FAQ Section I.1), is it
possible to somehow get MapServer to display PCF via the FT2 engine?

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I've looked through
the archives and haven't come up with anything useful so far.

Also, any general hints/suggestions for improving character label
generation will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ruben Tsui
Current project: Prototype a mapping platform using MapServer for
3G/2.5G career-grade deployment (6 million mobile subscriber base).