[Mapserver-users] rasters with more then 256 colors with gdal

Stephan Holl sholl at gmx.net
Thu Jun 12 04:08:55 EDT 2003

--=.KYTONg16D4,as/

At Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:21:53 -0400 Ed McNierney wrote:

Hello Ed,

> Can you give us a description (with pictures, if possible) of the
> result you're trying to produce?  It's hard to tell what "comparable
> to a geotiff" means, since a geotiff can look like anything at all.
Of course I can send you some pics.
There is a dem-raster-file, which is read as geotiff and renders nicly
through mapserver.
http://www.8ung.at/stephan.holl/tmp/dem_from_tiff.png

but when I try to access the dem from a GRASS-database through gdal it
renders all black as seen here (some contours are above...)
http://www.8ung.at/stephan.holl/tmp/dem_from_grass_through_gdal.png

As I read on the list, there should be the processing-directive to
auto-scale the image.
But when I do
LAYER
  [...]
  PROCESSING "SCALE=AUTO"
  [...]
END
nothing happens.

I also tried to set in the lowest and the higest point o the dem
PROCESSING "SCALE=1089, 2332"
but same result as above.

What am I doing wrong ?!
--