[Mapserver-users] rasters with more then 256 colors with gdal

Matt Doggett mdoggett at coas.oregonstate.edu
Thu Jun 12 11:30:29 EDT 2003

I've had this happen before.  In my case it was the processing directive
actually worked but the reclassified values in the DEM were all on the
"small" end of the spectrum, since I didn't have any color
classifications defined, they rendered black, or very nearly black.  The
default colorscale is a black-white (greyshade) where black is zero (or
in the case of processing directive the smallest number) and white is
255 (or the largest).

I actually gave up trying to get the processing directive to work and
used grass to reclassify my rasters into something less than 256
categories. Mapserver has no problems rendering those rasters.  It sure
would be nice to know if they had plans to fix it so that it will work
with rasters >256 cats....what a pain! :{

HTH.
md