[mapserver-users] problem with tiled ECW layer

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 18 13:22:29 EDT 2003

bartvde at xs4all.nl wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have a problem with a tiled ECW layer. I have created it using
> gdaltindex (default option so column name is location). It consists of 5
> tiles, so 5 ECW images. I looked at the shapefile and it looks fine. Does
> it try to find the ecw files relative to the shapefile (the ECW files are
> also in the E:\bart\ecw\ directory)?
>
> When I try to view the 5 ECW images as separate layers, it goes okay, but
> with the tile layer I get an empty, white image. There is also an error in
> the Apache error log:
>
> [Wed Jun 18 17:37:29 2003] [error] [client 192.168.25.3] ERROR 1: ECW error
>
> Does anybody know what the problem is?

Bart,

I have looked into this, and I think the problem is that the path to the
file isn't getting expanded as you expect.  In particular, if an invalid
file path that ends in .ecw gets passed to GDAL it will report the above
error message.

You might want to try to build your tile index with absolute paths.
Alternatively you will need to find out how they are resolved ... either
relative to the DATA path, the tile index, or the map file.

Best regards,