[Mapserver-users] ArcIMS vs MapServer Functionality

Dave McIlhagga mcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jun 19 15:45:59 EDT 2003

Hi Brock,

This can be achieved with the latest versions of MapServer (v. 4.0)
which is currently in Beta.  It has been re-designed to support the
capacity to output data in one of a number of directly accessible data
formats such as Shapefiles and MapInfo MITab files.

Of course, the exact manner in which this would happen is very
application specific so work would have to be done in one of the
scripting environments to allow the application to control the area of
extraction you are interested in pulling out, the layers you want to
receive, and the format you want to receive them in.

Another thing you may want to consider is the use of OGC specficiations
which would then allow you to effectively extract data from any server
that implements the web feature service (WFS) specification.  MapServer
can act as a WFS client meaning that it can injest GML data from a
remote server and convert it into the proprietary format of your choice
that is supported by MapServer.

For that matter, the day *when* ESRI supports WFS as a client, you can
publish your data through WFS and have your ESRI clients directly injest
data this way.

Regarding HDF support, I believe MapServer supports this through the
GDAL library -- you can get more information here:

http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/

This is my understanding at least, the developers may correct or clarify
this.

Dave
--
Dave McIlhagga