[Mapserver-users] ArcIMS vs MapServer Functionality

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Jun 19 15:51:32 EDT 2003

Brock,
   This is more a matter of what languages the clients speak than the
languages the server speaks. ArcMap only understands ArcXML, and
therefor is designed to *only* talk with ArcIMS. That was a design
decision by ESRI. Similar things pertain to support for live database
connections (ArcSDE protocol only).
   On the bright side, ArcXML is (relatively) easy to emulate. I have
written an emulator (http://postgis.refractions.net/download.php) called
IMSEmu which puts an ArcIMS interface around mapserver, allowing ArcMap
to connect to it directly, as if it were an ArcIMS server. Ed McNierney
and Steve Greenwood will shortly be releasing a PHP script which has the
same functionality and some enhancements they have added.
   For less than the cost of an ArcIMS licence, the emulation could be
enhanced to support more of the ArcXML functionality than is currently
supported (queries from ArcMap are currently problematic, due to an
undocumented proprietary format used by ESRI for such queries, but I
have had partial success in reverse engineering it).
   So there are alternatives.

   BTW, if anyone is interested in funding the addition of support for
ArcExplorer 2.x as a mapserver client (by emulating the AE server
protocol) please drop me a line. I have done the wire sniffing part of
the job, the protocol is not too hard, and it could provide some nifty
capabilities in terms of data download. (ArcExplorer supports a
"download the data" mode, which snaps out a portion of data and zips it
up for local consumption. Given all the format support mapserver has, it
would be a nifty way of exposing obscure data sources to standard
proprietary desktops.)

Paul

--
       __