[Mapserver-users] ArcIMS vs MapServer Functionality

Howard Mark MHoward at spaceimaging.com
Thu Jun 19 15:54:13 EDT 2003

Brock,

	It is easy to write a basic translator to ArcMap for WMS servers. I
have written one in Java that allows connections to WMS servers as if they
were ArcIMS servers.
I've written VB apps that use WMS servers too.
This works great for display/basemaps. If you want to perform spatial
operations, you need to set up MapServer as a WFS (GML) perhaps - then
translate to SDE.
But why would you want to do that?

Mark