[Mapserver-users] Projection library error

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 20 09:17:27 EDT 2003

Michael Cunningham wrote:
> Would be grateful for any help on this one. Have recently installed mapserver,
> and it's running fine.  However I'm currently working through the on-line
> tutorials and have become stuck on projections.
>
> When I run the s3ex4 example, which has the following in the map file:
>
>   PROJECTION
>     "init=epsg:4269"
>   END
>
> it gives the following error:
>
> msProcessProjection(): Projection library error. no system list, errno: 2
>
> When I run:
> % mapserv -v
> MapServer version 3.6.5 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ
> SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG
> INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>
> it shows PROJ.4 is supported.
>
> I've set the PROJ_LIB variable to point at "/usr/local/share/proj"  but still
> no joy.
>
> I'm running Mandrake Linux9.1, and have the variable set in my .cshrc (running
> tcsh).

Mike,

This is presumably your problem.   Normally MapServer when run as a cgi-bin
is run with the permissions of the "nobody" account or some other low
permission account.  It gets a rather minimal environment and most definately
does not get the environment of your normal user account.

There are various ways of setting environment variables for cgi-bin programs.
You can use the SetEnv directive in the apache configuration file, or create
a "cover script" for mapserv which sets appropriate environment variable.

So many FAQs ... so little time.

Best regards,