[Mapserver-users] newbie: ... Undefined symbol "symbols/ctyhwy.gif"

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Wed Jun 25 01:27:33 EDT 2003

shamblin at mail.nsuok.edu wrote:
> I downloaded, configured, compiled, tested, installed, tested, MapServe
> 3.6.
> When I run with the accompanying demo, I get the error
>     msLoadMap(): General error message. Undefine symbol
> "symbols/ctyhwy.gif" in class 0 of layer ctyrdln3_anno.
>
> I have the symbols subdirectory containing ctyhwy.gif in the itasca
> directory.  If I comment out the reference to it in the map file, I get
> the same error at the next reference to symbols/??????.gif.

Gordon,

Are you able to use GIFs?  You might need to convert your GIFs to PNGs
for the demo to work.  Also...you might need to edit the mapfile and
enter absolute paths to the symbol images.  I've had trouble using
relative paths to symbols in recent versions of MS.  So, for example:

   SYMBOL 'symbols/ctyhwy.gif'
would become something like
   SYMBOL '/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/itasca/symbols/ctyhwy.gif'

--Dylan