[Mapserver-users] running v4 beta as a command line tool

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Wed Jun 25 08:43:41 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 10:06, niklas wörmann wrote:
> Hi!
> i am trying to track down the reason mapserver isn´t working on my windows
> 2000 server.
>
> i remember seeing somewhere that it was indeed possible to run mapserver as
> a command line tool, specifying a map file and an output file
>
> anyone know the syntax for this?

On linux:
./mapserv "QUERY_STRING=map=/path/to/your/mapfile.map&mode=map"
This will output headers + image data to stdout (on linux). Probably on
windows your executable is not named mapserv but something like mapserv.exe?
And use \ instead of / I think.

you cannot just save the output as image file because the headers are in the
output too.
But you can see if it outputs something (lots of ascii: image), or gives an
error.
To see the image: type in your browser:
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/path/to/your/mapfile.map&mode=map
change / in path to \ if on windows?