[Mapserver-users] PHP mapscript, ms 4.0b, Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)

Erich Schroeder erich at museum.state.il.us
Wed Jun 25 15:17:11 EDT 2003

I'm probably just getting something wrong. In my trying installs on a
number of different distributions/versions of linux, I'm working on a
RedHat 9 machine using the Mapserver 3.7 on RedHat 8 document as a guide.

After going through things I find that running the phpinfo command
directly through php (like "php ms_phpinfo.php") works just fine, but
through the server i get:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '' (ASCII=24) state=1 in
/var/www/cgi-bin/php on line 686

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '' (ASCII=8) state=1 in
/var/www/cgi-bin/php on line 686

and so forth.

I removed all rpms associated with php, and php is not, as far as I can
tell, loaded as a modual. I have the following lines in http.conf

AddType application/php-cgi .php .phtml
Action application/php-cgi /cgi-bin/php

Which is what I have working on a debian system using Apache 1.3.x. Is
there a difference in the AddType/Action lines that are needed under
Apache 2? Apache 2.someting is the default for RedHat 8.0, as I remember,
as well as RH9.

Should I be using "AddHandler", SetOutputFilter, SetInputFilter or such
things as are in the saved file /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf.rpmsave?

Erich

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/