[Mapserver-users] ArcIMS vs MapServer Functionality

Howard Mark MHoward at spaceimaging.com
Thu Jun 26 11:17:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

Hope this post is appropriate.
I have written a JAVA servlet connector that can be used to connect ArcIMS
calls to a WMS server.
I also have an ArcView 3x extension that connects to WMS servers and also
ArcIMS through the JAVA servlet.
SO to summarize -- you can connect :

ArcMap to ArcIMS with the standard ESRI AXL connection.
ArcMap to any WMS server with my custom connector - I see IMSEmu does this
as well.

HTML apps to WMS - Mapserver. (standard).
HTMS apps to ArcIMS with the standard  ESRI WMS connector.

ArcView 3x to WMS with my OGC/WMS extension.
ArcView 3x to ArcIMS with my OGC/WMS extension and JAVA servlet connector.

Asking for shapefiles dynamically is not really appropriate - that's more of
an extract thing.
You'd do this only once for an AOI, then use the data for spatial analysis.
There is a OGC WFS spec that would get you data in GML. Then you could
translate that to shapefiles.

I have some info on all this at:

or
https://jas.spaceimaging.com/subscriptions/SubscriptionServices.htm