[Mapserver-users] Example of many raster files?

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu May 1 22:10:43 EDT 2003

Yes, there's nothing wrong with overlapping tiles in a tile index.
MapServer just intersects the output image frame with the polygons in
the index and then goes about opening and rendering all the ones that
intersect the output frame.

We've got something over 300,000 raster images tiled into layers, and
then those layers put into GROUPs so you can switch a whole bunch on or
off at once.  I think the biggest TILEINDEX files we've got probably
have 20,000 to 25,000 raster images in them.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: (978) 251-4242  Fax: (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com