[Mapserver-users] Transforming lat/long points into shapefiles

Justin Garre garre_gis at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 03:29:26 EDT 2003

Given a set of start and end latitude and longitude points that comprise a
street rout, how do I transform them into a shapefile in an automated manner
from a database?  This database would be consistently updated with new data
from the field so it is important that we be able to have our map be capable
of automatically displaying the data as it becomes available.

Is the most common and time efficient way of doing this to have a new
shapefile be created and displayed in real-time on our map during each data
update from the field or is there a way to simply have the street network
shapefile draw data from a database real-time and update its attributes
without creating an all new shapefile?  Depending on which is best, are
there any text resources out there that show how this is accomplished in
database design?

I have been having difficulty in finding information on this topic both
through Google searches and on the Mapserver support site so I appreciate
both your patience and any help that you can provide.

Best regards,

Justin Garre
University of Washington
garre_gis at hotmail.com