[Mapserver-users] Transforming lat/long points into shapefiles

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Fri May 2 09:50:46 EDT 2003

Justin,

though it is possible (even with php_mapscript) to create shapefiles 'on the
fly' this probably would be far from efficient for you, as you will keep
faster, but mainly suited as a static data source. Better keep your dynamic
data in a spatially enabled database. You can edit your data (add streets
etc) then from any scripting language that has an interface for that
database, php for example. Postgresql with posgis could be perfect: see
www.postgresql.org, http://postgis.refractions.net/ . Mapserver can directly
access data from a postgis enables postgresql database. See the mapserver
docs for that.

Regards,
Vincent Schut.