[Mapserver-users] Scaling TrueType Labels

Tom Melhuish tmelhuish at webinsightsinc.com
Fri May 2 11:42:45 EDT 2003

Hi,
I can't seemed to be able to scale labels up and down as the map zoom in and
out. It always remains the same as initial size. When I load the mapfile, it
doesn't returns any errors. The TRUETYPE font are installed correctly
because they follow my street  centerline data fine. I thought that all it
requires is to set LABEL's TYPE to TRUETYPE, and specifying MINSIZE and
MAXSIZE....am I missing something?

I'm using Mapserver 3.6.4 with Postgres on Redhat 8.0.

Here are some scenario's I tried and the results:

	  SIZE 12
	  MINSIZE 8		Result => font is 12 pixels at any zoom size
	  MAXSIZE 18

	  #SIZE 12
	  MINSIZE 8		Result => font is 8 pixels at any zoom size
	  MAXSIZE 18

	  #SIZE 12
	  MINSIZE 18	Result => font is 8 pixels at any zoom size
	  MAXSIZE 8

	  SIZE 12
	  MINSIZE 18	Result => font is 8 pixels at any zoom size
	  MAXSIZE 8

This is what a portion of my mapfile look like:

MAP
  #
  # Start of map file
  #
  NAME "MSapplet"
  STATUS ON
  EXTENT 2190000 640000 2200000 650000 # JC extents

  SIZE 600 600
  SHAPEPATH "data"
  FONTSET "fonts/font.list"
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
  UNITS FEET
  SCALE 24000
  # you may need to change this to match your MapServer build
  IMAGETYPE PNG

 LAYER
    NAME "streets"
    GROUP "gp_streets"
    STATUS ON
    # Get the lines from the 'the_geom' column of the 'jcctrline' table
    DATA "the_geom from jcctrline"
    TYPE LINE
    CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
    # Connect to a remote spatial database
    CONNECTION "user=gisusr password=gisusr dbname=gisdb host=localhost
port=5432"
    MAXSCALE 30000
	MINSCALE 30
	LABELMAXSCALE 30000