Subject: [Mapserver-users] Re: building gdal 1.1.8 on Mac OS X 10.2.6

John Oram mapserver at oram.com
Mon May 12 23:28:14 EDT 2003

> I've compiled gdal 1.1.8 on osx with
>
> 	./configure --without-python
>
> but in GDALmake.opt I have LIBS set to
>
> 	-ltiff -lz -lm -ldl  -lstdc++ -lcrypto -lssl -lSystem
> -L/usr/local/lib -lm
>

> I probably added some of these manually. I think new and delete come
> from either libstdc++ or libSystem. I think I probably used gcc2 rather
> than gcc3.
>
> hope this helps
>
> Ian

Changed to gcc2, and modified the LIBS line in GDALmake.opt as per
Ian's suggestion.  Now I get:

c++ -O2  8211view.o \
         libiso8211.a ../../port/cpl.a -ltiff -lz -lm -ldl -lstdc++
-lcrypto -lssl -lSystem -L/usr/local/lib -lm -o 8211view
/usr/bin/ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/local/lib/libtiff.a is
out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
make[4]: *** [8211view] Error 1
make[3]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[2]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: *** [sublibs] Error 2
make: *** [ogr-target] Error 2

Is this the same libtiff required for mapserver?  I have tiff-v3.5.7.

I also tried some of the options listed on the Mac OS wiki page,
specifically adding
-DPROJ_STATIC to the C_ and CXX_OPTFLAGS  but got the same exit errors.
  (However, I don't know how relevant these are since they refer to
building on 10.1.x.)

It also suggests adding -dl to the LIBS, and changing LD_SHARED to be =
g++ -dynamiclib, but neither seems to make a difference.

Am I missing something more fundamental here?

-John