[Mapserver-users] data/mapfile organization advice sought

Puneet Kishor pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Tue May 13 08:51:28 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 02:38  AM, Stepan Kafka wrote:

> There are two approaches:
>
> 1. If you want to show all the countries together, you can effitiently
> use
> tiling for them. It works also with non-rectangular tiling layer and
> your
> data structure is suitable for it.

Interesting. I thought tiling was a viable option only for data that
were contiguous. My data are not -- well, they are, if all show
together, but are actually held in discrete, complete shapefiles like
so --

country1 -- layer1
             layer2
             ..
             layer9
             layer10
             layer11

country2 -- layer1
             layer2
             ..
             (not layer9)
             layer10
             (not layer11)

country3 -- layer1
             layer2
             ..
             layer9
             (not layer10)
             layer11

> 2. If you want show only selected country, you can change the
> shapepath on
> the fly. Set the
> ...&map_shapepath=your_shapepath... in your URL.

no cgi (if that is what you meant)... I am using scripting (perl). But,
that is the line on which I was thinking. Something like so -- I would
have a master map file, kinda like a template, which I would manipulate
on the fly like so --

# my mapfile template
#
..
SHAPEPATH path/to/data/$country_name_var$
..
LAYER
	NAME "layer one"
	DATE "layer1"
..
# end mapfile template

and then I would replace the $country_name_var$ on the fly based on an
http variable passed by the user based on some selection. Of course, I
would have to write the map file out on the fly, but that is easy. On
the other hand, would I have to write it out? Could I do without
writing it out to disk?

Is that a reasonable approach, or is there a better, more elegant way?

Many tia.