[Mapserver-users] java connector

Terry Hannant thannant at metadev.com.au
Tue May 20 10:22:35 EDT 2003

Our current solution is a simple process.Exec wrapper around mapserv.

We also did some tweaking to mapserv.c to make calling it from Java a
bit easier so you could say we cheated a bit. We also removed a lot the
map file parsing code as it was not very thread safe.

What value does the perl script you are calling give you over calling
Mapserv directly?

We looked at JNI and saw that it would be very easily achievable for the
general case but did not warrant the effort for our specific use.

A nice JNI interface would be sweet to develop if there were enough
hands around.

Of course there is the Mapscript/SWIG/Java stuff. Have not used it so
can't pass judgment on it.

Terry Hannant
MetaDev Pty Ltd