[Mapserver-users] java connector

Pedro Salazar pedro-b-salazar at ptinovacao.pt
Tue May 20 12:12:07 EDT 2003

Hi,

> Our current solution is a simple process.Exec wrapper around mapserv.

I put my perl scripts inside the "cgi-bin" Apache HTTP server directory
and I invoke them through a HTTP connection. It may be not so fast as
invoke them directly but it's more flexible that way - and HTTP is a
very light protocol.

> We also did some tweaking to mapserv.c to make calling it from Java a
> bit easier so you could say we cheated a bit. We also removed a lot the
> map file parsing code as it was not very thread safe.

I'm not clear about the gain of performance but for now I prefer to not
touch the original mapserv.c.

> What value does the perl script you are calling give you over calling
> Mapserv directly?

I don't know if I understood well what you asked, but my perl scripts
work also with query string parameters as the mapserv do, and they can
give me an extent text to be parsed or just images...

> We looked at JNI and saw that it would be very easily achievable for the
> general case but did not warrant the effort for our specific use.
>
> A nice JNI interface would be sweet to develop if there were enough
> hands around.

I think the same about using JNI, but right now I don't have time for
that adventure :-) It would be interesting indeed and a big improvement
for mapserver.

Pedro.
--
PS