[Mapserver-users] Building gdal with Xerces

Benjamin Thelen CCGIS benjamin.thelen at ccgis.de
Tue May 20 13:04:59 EDT 2003

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your help!

I twice removed gdal-1.1.8, installed xerces 1.7.0 and installed gdal again,
just to be sure. But gdal does not recognize xerces 1.7.0. While compiling
you can see a few "c++ -c -DHAVE_XERCES=0 ...". I suppose that means that
Xerces was either not recognized or not requested by gdal.

This is the Makefile from the FreeBSD-Ports-Collectoin for gdal-1.1.8:
# New ports collection makefile for:	Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
# Date created:		27 Aug 2001
# Whom:			Randall Hopper
#
# $FreeBSD: ports/graphics/gdal/Makefile,v 1.7 2003/02/20 18:08:00 knu Exp $
#

PORTNAME=	gdal
PORTVERSION=	1.1.8
CATEGORIES=	graphics
MASTER_SITES=	ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/gdal/

MAINTAINER=	ports at FreeBSD.org
COMMENT=	A translator library for raster geospatial data formats

BUILD_DEPENDS=	${LOCALBASE}/bin/doxygen:${PORTSDIR}/devel/doxygen
LIB_DEPENDS=	jpeg.9:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/jpeg \
		png.5:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/png \
		tiff.4:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/tiff

USE_PYTHON=     yes
USE_GMAKE=	yes
GNU_CONFIGURE=	yes
CONFIGURE_ARGS=	--with-libz=internal \
		--with-png=internal \
		--with-libtiff=internal \
		--with-libgeotiff=internal \
		--with-libjpeg=internal \
		--with-libgif=internal \
		--with-python
MAKEFILE=	GNUmakefile
INSTALLS_SHLIB=	yes

.include <bsd.port.mk>

I suppose that this looks a little different to the one from the source code
made by ./configure?!
But, obviously there is no --with-xerces. Shouldn't that be there?

I then added --with-xerces to CONFIGURE_ARGS and had the following compiling
error:

checking for Xerces C++... requested, but compile or link fails!

c++ -I/usr/local/include/xercesc -I/usr/local/include -o conftest
conftest.cpp -lxerces-c1_6_0 -lpthread -lm -L/usr/local/lib

/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lxerces-c1_6_0

configure: error: Please correct Xerces options, or don't enable Xerces.
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
      Please report the problem to ports at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
      the "/usr/ports/graphics/gdal/work/gdal-1.1.8/config.log" including
the
      output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good
      idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
      (e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/gdal.
root at qwertzuiop#

As I have installed xerces-1.7.0, I suppose "/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot
find -lxerces-c1_6_0" is quite obvious?!

Well, I am not familiar with bugzilla. Do you want me to file exactly this
to bugzilla?

I'll also try to get xerces-1.6.0, as I don't think I urgently need 1.7.0.
But I am not sure whether I'll be successful (Ports-Collection-Problem
again). Another problem will be, that it will surely take some time until
your changes will be maintained to the FreeBSD-Ports-Collection. I would
have to install via sourc-code directly.

What do you think?

Regards,
Benjamin