[Mapserver-users] Very Large tiff output

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Sun Nov 2 22:16:20 EST 2003

I am at a loss......

Sometime ago I remember a comment that production images of 20,000 x
20,000 pixels were being created using mapserver.

I am testing compositing images into much larger tiles (building
seamless.usgs.gov into quarter quads).  When the requested image size
exceeds about 12,000 x 12,000 pixels I am getting

  msSaveImageGDAL(): General error message. Failed to create MEM
dataset.

using "top" the peak memory use is 2.7Gb

The test system has 4Gb or real memory and 6Gb of swap
and map.h has
    #define MS_MAXIMGSIZE 35000

standard gdal tools gdalwarp and gdal_translate are fine with a 25,000
x 25,000 GTiff file.

what am I missing?

C.