[Mapserver-users] please help about street labeling

Murat Isik muratisik at megatek.com.tr
Sat Nov 8 16:52:58 EST 2003

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C3A653.7024EB70

Hello,
I am a newbei to mapscript and I am working on a php/mapscript project =
in which users can zoom-pan and move around the map. So far I have done =
these, with the help of some nice gentlemen from this list. However I =
have no idea about the next thing I am trying to implement. I have a =
layer about streets and it has two columns in its dbf file, one ID and =
one ADI (name) column. My php script reads two layers from a mapfile, =
one being this street layer. I am trying to understand how I can get the =
street names written next to the streets, even if they are zoomed. I =
have searched the archieves about this issue. I have understood a little =
and got confused a lot. I have a few questions if it is ok for you:

-at one archieve =
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0006/msg00076.h=
tml) I got the feeling that I can do it without playing around with =
php/mapscript and just do it by carefully writing mapfile. I always =
wondered how the allignment of the names in relation to the streets on =
the map will be adjusted, I guess "ANGLE auto" sets that. And "LABELITEM =
street" corresponds to my ADI ?

-another way I understood is to query the street layer, creating a =
dynamic layer and using addFeature(). Actually Mr.Daniel Morissette =
hinted me this but I am too new about mapscript to understand what this =
is about :(  Is there any example scripts around if this labelling is to =
be done only by php/mapscript? For a newbei like myself, it is always =
good to get any issue by examples then pure theory...

Please give me some ideas:) (or some examples...)

Have a nice day

Murat Isik

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C3A653.7024EB70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am a newbei to mapscript and I am =
working on a=20
php/mapscript project in which users can zoom-pan and move around the =
map. So=20
far I have done these, with the help of some nice gentlemen from this =
list.=20
However I have no idea about the next thing I am trying to implement. I =
have a=20
layer&nbsp;about streets and it has two columns in its dbf file, one ID =
and one=20
ADI (name) column. My php script reads two layers from a mapfile, one =
being this=20
street layer. I am trying to understand how I can get the street names =
written=20
next to the streets, even if they are&nbsp;zoomed.&nbsp;I have searched =
the=20
archieves about this issue. I have understood a little and got confused =
a lot. I=20
have a few questions if it is ok for you:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>-at one archieve (</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0006/msg=
00076.html"><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0006/ms=
g00076.html</FONT></A><FONT=20
size=3D2>) I got the feeling that I can do it without playing around =
with=20
php/mapscript and just do it by carefully writing mapfile. I always =
wondered how=20
the allignment of the names in relation to the streets on the map will =
be=20
adjusted, I guess "ANGLE auto" sets&nbsp;that. And "LABELITEM street"=20
corresponds to my ADI ?</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-another way I understood is <FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>to query the street layer, creating a =
dynamic=20
layer and using addFeature(). Actually Mr.Daniel Morissette hinted me =
this but I=20
am too new about mapscript to understand what this is about :(&nbsp; Is =
there=20
any example scripts around if this labelling is to be done only by=20
php/mapscript? For a newbei like myself, it is always good to=20
get&nbsp;any&nbsp;issue by examples then pure =
theory...</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Please give me some ideas:) (or some=20
examples...)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Have a nice day</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Murat Isik</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C3A653.7024EB70--